Best New York Attorney
For more than 45 years the New York personal injury law firm of Kenneth A. Wilhelm has helped injured clients and their families secure the maximum compensation for their injuries, damages and losses. We have recovered millions of dollars for seriously injured clients and families that have lost loved ones due to someone else’s negligence and wrongdoing. We do not charge any fees until we recover money for you. We offer free, initial phone consultations to victims. If you are injured or unable to travel, we can come to your home, hospital or office. Some of our clients received the following verdicts or settlements.
Millions of Dollars in Verdicts and Settlements
$43,940,000: Brain-damaged child, birth injury cerebral palsy
$23,500,000: Birth injury cerebral palsy case
$6,750,000: Failure to diagnose brain tumor
$5,600,000: Bicycle accident settlement
$5,500,000: Birth injury brain damage
$3,375,576: Construction accident, fall from steel beam
$3,000,000: Pedestrian hit by a car
$2,550,000: Victim of a motor vehicle accident
$2,500,000: Burn injury from defective space heater
$2,433,500: Construction accident case
$2,350,000: Construction accident involving toe amputation
$2,250,000: Hot water burn case
$2,100,000: Car accident case
$2,000,000: Hit-and-run accident
$1,875,000: Fall from scaffolding at construction site
$1,750,000: Elevator accident case
$1,700,000: Slip-and-fall accident resulting in herniated disc
$1,300,000: Wheelchair pedestrian struck by car
Our law firm has consistently won high recognition from peers as well as other prestigious organizations in New York State and those across the nation that rate attorneys based on client service and performance. These ratings are also measured by the verdicts and settlements that have been obtained for our clients.
At the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm, we believe in letting these and other settlements speak for the commitment we have to our clients as well as the successful track record that we have established. Our results have also made an impact on how insurance companies and their lawyers view us. When they see that we are representing the client in the case, they tend to realize their chances are no longer the same. They know that they are going to be in for a fight and that we will strive to get the outcome our client deserves.
Here are some of the distinctions achieved by New York personal injury lawyer Kenneth A. Wilhelm:
- 2014 New York Top 10 Attorney Award out of more than 166,000 lawyers in New York State from the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Inc.
- Super Lawyers list for 2014, an honor accorded to no more than 5 percent of attorneys in New York State.
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York, awarded by the National Trial Lawyers group.
A superlative 10.0, which is the highest possible rating from AVVO, an online attorney rating service.
- Earned first and fifth ranked settlements of $5,600,000 for a man on a bicycle that was hit by a van and $2,550,000 for a passenger in a motor vehicle out of more than 166,000 lawyers in New York State (New York Law Journal)
- Best-selling author on Amazon of How To Choose A Personal Injury Lawyer: Why Experience Counts.
Our Guarantee to All Clients
At the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm, we provide each client with attentive legal representation and personal attention. When you retain us, you can expect the following:
- Receiving regular and timely updates with regard to the progress of your case. We return all calls promptly.
- Being treated with dignity, compassion and respect.
- Competence from our firm and all our employees.
- Getting an accurate and truthful case evaluation.
- Getting a detailed explanation of your legal rights and options.
- Having the right to make the ultimate decision in your case.
Choosing the Best Attorney for Your Case
If you have been injured in a New York car accident, pedestrian accident, slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident, or construction accident or medical malpractice etc., you likely have a number of questions. How would you pay your medical bills? Would your health insurance cover all medical and rehabilitation costs? How will you meet your expenses when you are unable to work? Who will hold the at-fault parties accountable or liable for their actions?
The more serious your injury, the greater your need for an experienced personal injury lawyer. But how do you choose the personal injury lawyer who is right for your case? Here are a few considerations.
Experience is Crucial
You need a lawyer who has significant experience, preferably one that spans decades, representing personal injury victims. So, one of the first questions you need to ask before retaining the services of a personal injury attorney is: How long has he or she been practicing?
The next thing to consider is what kind of law does the attorney and the firm practice. Roughly what percentage of the lawyer’s practice involves personal injury cases? You want a lawyer on your side who exclusively handles personal injury cases. You do not want an attorney who represents both plaintiffs and defendants because they may not necessarily have the knowledge and/or the resolution to fight insurance companies or major corporations.
You also need to know if the law firm you are considering can not only negotiate with other parties, but also take the case to trial, if necessary. Even though a majority of personal injury cases are settled out of court, it is important you have the assurance that your law firm can provide a trial of your side of the case persuasively.
Evaluating Track Record
Once you have determined that your attorney is experienced, it is important to look at his or her track record. What types of personal injury cases has the firm handled in the past? Is it similar to yours? If the attorney has a website, look there to see what types of verdicts and settlements he or she has obtained on behalf of clients? The goal here is to determine if the attorney has handled cases similar to yours and whether he or she has a successful track record with such cases.
Assessing Other Information
It is important to ask how reputed your attorney is. Look into how attorney-rating sites such as AVVO rate the lawyer. You may also visit the state bar association’s website to check if the lawyer you are researching is in good standing. If you speak a language other than English, it is important to know if the attorney has the ability to accommodate clients who speak other languages. If you have been injured and are unable to travel to speak with the lawyer, you also need to know if they would be willing to send someone to your home or hospital to speak with you.
What to Do if You Have Been Injured
The best New York personal injury attorneys will focus on strengthening your claim and obtaining just compensation for your losses promptly. At the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm, we know how crucial this is for a victim and his or her family as they deal with mounting medical expenses and other financial challenges. Here are some of the steps you can take if you or a loved one has been injured:
- Report your injury. For example, if you have been injured in a car accident, be sure to file a police report. This helps ensure that a formal investigation is initiated into the incident. If you are injured in a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident at a store, file an incident report with the manager or supervisor. This is also true for accidents on the job. It is crucial that you report any work-related injury to your supervisor or employer as soon as possible. Get as much information as you can from the scene and make sure you get a copy of the report. Such reports help establish the date, time, place and other incident details.
- Get the medical attention and treatment you need. It is important that you do this because it not only helps document the case, but also gives you the best shot at a quick and full recovery. Save all receipts associated with your medical treatment including, but not limited to, medication, medical equipment, emergency room costs, hospitalization, operating room expenses, rehabilitation, physical therapy, etc.
- Be careful with whom you talk about your case. Many people may want to discuss your case with you. These people may include insurance adjusters and attorneys for other parties. Do not discuss the specifics of your case or your injuries with anyone other than your attorney, doctor or medical team. Do not post photos or information on blogs or social media sites. Anything you post online may be used against you in court. A good rule of thumb here is to refrain posting anything about your case online.
- Focus on preserving important evidence in your case. Save all medical information such as doctor’s notes, pharmacy bottles that bear information about your medications, prescriptions, invoices, etc. Your attorney can write a spoliation letter to appropriate properties to make sure that critical pieces of evidence in your case are preserved and not lost or destroyed. It is also important to preserve physical evidence from the scene and photographs from the accident scene and your injuries. Our attorneys recommend that if you are unable to get photographs from the accident scene, have a friend or relative help you gather such evidence. Contacts for eyewitnesses can also prove extremely useful.
- Do not rush into a settlement with the insurance company. It might be tempting to get everything over with and put the traumatic event behind you. But, the decisions you take in the aftermath of suffering a personal injury can have an impact on your personal life, job and even financial future. When you rush into a settlement, you are jeopardizing your ability to be fairly and fully compensated for all your losses. Do not sign waivers or settlement agreements that may cause you to lose your rights. Consult your injury lawyer before you make any important decisions or take any action connected with your case.
- Contact an experienced New York personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Getting a knowledgeable attorney on your side early on in the process can put you in an advantageous position, poised to potentially receive maximum compensation for your losses.
Understanding What Your Case is Worth
The worth or value of your case typically depends on the nature and extent of damages sustained. The more serious the injury, the higher the compensation is likely to be. For example, a person who has suffered serious, life-changing injuries will likely receive much more compensation than someone who suffered relatively minor injuries. Often, personal injury victims are able to receive compensation for damages including:
- Medical expenses: This includes everything from emergency room costs, hospitalization, surgery, cost of cosmetic surgery, rehabilitation, cost of medication, medical equipment, etc.
- Lost wages: Personal injury victims are often unable to work. When the injuries are serious, victims may not be able to work for months or even years. Sometimes, they may never be able to return to work or come back to work in a diminished capacity. Injury victims may be able to seek compensation for wages lost as well as damages for loss of earning capacity.
- Permanent injury: Many individuals suffer injuries that lead to lifelong disabilities. For example, those who have suffered traumatic brain injuries or paralysis are left disabled for life and are unable to lead the quality of life they once led. Such individuals may also seek compensation for loss of life’s enjoyment.
- Past and future pain and suffering: Injury victims suffer not only physical pain, but also mental anguish and psychological issues in the aftermath of a traumatic event. Compensation may be sought for physical pain and well as emotional distress caused by the incident.
An Experienced Lawyer Can Help
If you or a loved one has suffered personal injuries or if you have lost a loved one as the result of a traumatic event, the experienced New York personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm can help you better understand your legal rights and options, and also fight hard to recover just compensation for you. Please contact us TOLL FREE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496). WE CAN EVEN COME TO YOU. There is no attorneys’ fee unless we recover money for you. We can also help with personal injury cases in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Florida. If you have been seriously injured in any of the 50 U.S. states, please call us and we will try to help you with your case.
Other TOLL FREE phone numbers for us are:
1-800-RADIO-LAW, 1-888-WYPADEK, OR 1-800-LAS-LEYES
Please visit us at: www.WORK4YOULAW.com