Slips, trips and falls are one of the leading causes of work-related accidents. In fact, they rank second behind motor vehicles when it comes to the leading causes of accidental deaths. Slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents have the potential to cause serious injuries not just to workers, but also customers and guests. It is critical to prevent these types of accidents that may leave individuals with catastrophic injuries and lifelong disabilities.
The Extent of the Problem
Slips, trips and falls cause 15 percent of workplace deaths, according to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). In the year 2014, slips, trips and falls accounted for 27 percent of the total lost workday injuries reported, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states. About 22 percent of these incidents resulted in more than 31 days away from work, according to BLS numbers from 2014.
Here are a few other significant statistics and facts relating to slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents:
• About 20 to 30 percent of people who experience a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall will suffer moderate to severe injuries such as bruises, hip fractures and head injuries.
• The most common fractures that occur from slip-and-fall accidents are fractures of the spine, hip, forearm, leg, ankle, pelvis, upper arm and hand.
• Slip-and-fall accidents are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and among older Americans, and these account for 46 percent of all fatal falls.
• One in six of all lost-time work injuries are a result of slips, trips and falls.
• These types of injuries result in an average of 11 days away from work.
• Slip, trips and falls account for between 12 and 15 percent of all workers’ compensation expenses.
Common Causes of Workplace Falls
There are a number of reasons why these types of accidents occur. Here are just a few causes of workplace slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents:
• Spills: When there is spilled liquid on the floor that has not been promptly cleaned, it may pose a serious slip-and-fall danger.
• Unrepaired walkways: Walkways that are uneven or cracked, when left unrepaired, can cause workers, customers or guests to trip and fall.
• Weather-related conditions: Rain, ice or snow can cause slippery conditions both indoors and outdoors and pose a serious hazard.
• Stairs: When stairs have bunched-up carpeting or are broken or uneven, they may cause trip-and-fall accidents that may lead to devastating injuries.
• Dangerous floors: Choice of flooring material is critical for workplaces. When the flooring is unsuitable for the activity that is carried out at the place of work, then there is the danger of slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents.
• Inadequate lighting: When there is lack of sufficient lighting, visibility is hampered and there is the potential for falls.
If You Have Been Injured
If you have been injured on the job, you may be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits through your employer. Such insurance covers medical expenses and a portion of lost wages. Depending on the circumstances of the incident, you may also be able to file a third-party claim against a party other than the employer or co-employee and seek compensation for your significant losses. Such claims may be filed against parties such as general contractors, sub-contractors, building owners, managing agents etc.
When workers suffer injuries in such accidents, they are often incapacitated for an extended period of time. This may leave them unable to work and earn a livelihood for their families putting them in a tough place emotionally and financially. A number of injuries suffered in slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents such as broken bones may require extensive and continuing care such as physical therapy, which may not be covered by medical or workers’ compensation insurance. An experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to help workers navigate these issues and secure maximum possible compensation for their losses.
Contacting an Experienced Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident, the experienced New York personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm can help you better understand your legal rights and options, and also fight hard to recover just compensation for you.
For over 45 years, our skilled accident attorneys have established a proven track record of helping injured victims get fair compensation for their losses. Our law firm recovered $1,700,000 for a woman who slipped and fell and received no hospital or medical treatment for one month after the accident.
Please call our offices TOLL FREE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496) to discuss your slip-and-fall case or trip-and-fall injury or accident case. WE CAN EVEN COME TO YOU. There is no attorneys’ fee unless we recover money for you. We can also help with personal injury cases in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Florida. If you have been seriously injured in any of the 50 U.S. states, please call us and we will try to help you with your case.
Other TOLL FREE phone numbers for us are:
1-800-RADIO-LAW, 1-888-WYPADEK, OR 1-800-LAS-LEYES
Please visit us at: www.WORK4YOULAW.com
If you found this article useful, please share it!