Citi-Bike is pulling its new pedal-assist bikes operated by Lyft-owned companies in New York City, San Francisco and Washington D.C. over concerns about brake problems. According to a report in The New York Times, these electric bikes have been temporarily removed from city streets because of these safety concerns. The Times gives the example of one incident where a rider in Brooklyn who was traveling to work in the bike lane hit the brakes. The front wheel locked up sending the man over the front of the handlebars and onto the pavement.
Several Reports of Injuries
Another man reported a similar experience when he attempted to brake before a stop sign in Astoria, Queens. Yet another rider flipped over the front of an electric Citi Bike while trying to brake before an intersection on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn. These are not the only victims. There have been dozens of riders in recent months who have reported suffering injuries while riding electric Citi Bikes, which led to the company pulling about 1,000 electric bicycles from New York City streets.
The company released a statement that it had received reports from riders “who experienced stronger than expected braking force on the front wheel.” Lyft said it is working with suppliers to understand the problem while also working on a new electric-bike model that will be available soon. In the meantime, the company said it would install standard bikes to replace the electric bicycles so there is continuity of service. Citi Bike, which came to New York in 2013 has soared in popularity with more than 145,000 members.
What Steps Can You Take?
According to the New York City Department of Transportation, there were 24 fatalities and 4,397 injuries reported citywide as a result of bicycle accidents in 2017. Whether it’s due to defective brakes or due to a negligent (careless) driver, there is no question that a Citi Bike accident can lead to serious or even deadly injuries. Here are some of the steps you can take to ensure that your rights are protected after a Citi Bike accident in New York City:
• Get medical attention and treatment for your injuries right away. Get checked out by a doctor or go to the emergency room even if you don’t feel significant pain after the crash. A number of injuries take several days to surface.
• Report the accident to the police and be sure to obtain a copy of the police report. Your personal injury lawyer can also help you get a copy of this report, which might have a lot of crucial details such as the cause of the accident or who might have been at fault.
• Report the accident to Citi Bike as well.
• Collect as much information and evidence from the scene as possible. This might include photos and videos showing the accident site, damage to the vehicles, your injuries, etc. Obtain contact information and insurance details for other parties involved in the collision. Your personal injury lawyer can also help you obtain this information.
• Do not post any details or information regarding your accident on social media sites or online. Any photos, videos or comments you post online can be used against you and have the potential to jeopardize your claim.
Contacting an Experienced Lawyer
Injured victims of Citi Bike accidents may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against a number of different parties. Some examples of at-fault parties include the company operating the program, negligent (careless) motorists who cause the collision and in some cases, the city. Injured victims may be able to seek compensation for damages including, but not limited to, medical expenses, lost income and benefits, hospitalization, rehabilitation, permanent injuries, disabilities, past and future pain and suffering, etc. An experienced lawyer will be able to guide you through what may become a complex process and help you maximize the compensation you receive.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident caused by a negligent or careless driver, the experienced New York personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm can help you better understand your legal rights and options, and also fight hard to recover just compensation for you.
For over 47 years, our skilled accident attorneys have established a proven track record of helping injured victims get fair compensation for their losses. Our law firm recently recovered $5,600,000 for a bicyclist who was hit by a van, and $2,550,000 for another victim of a truck accident, and $3,000,000 for a pedestrian who was hit by a car, and the full $1,000,000 insurance policy for a pedestrian who was hit by a truck, and $4,625,000 for a driver who was in a car and was hit by a van, and $2,500,000 for a man who fell through an improperly secured hole.
Please contact us TOLL FREE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496). WE CAN EVEN COME TO YOU. There is no attorneys’ fee unless we recover money for you. We can also help with personal injury and medical malpractice cases in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Florida. If you have been seriously injured in any of the 50 U.S. states, please call us and we will try to help you with your case.
Other TOLL FREE phone numbers for us are:
1-800-RADIO-LAW, 1-888-WYPADEK, OR 1-800-LAS-LEYES
Please visit us at: www.WORK4YOULAW.com
If you found this article useful, please share it!