At least four people were injured after a car crashed into a group of people waiting at a Queens bus stop. According to a CBS News report, the hit-and-run accident occurred on Northern Boulevard and 48th Street in Sunny Side. The car’s driver struck the group and then left without stopping to help the victims. Four people including a child suffered lacerations and other non-life-threatening injuries. The police have found the vehicle involved in the crash but are searching for the driver.
A recent report in USA Today noted that hit-and-run accidents are rapidly increasing nationwide particularly in large cities such as New York and Los Angeles. According to the report, of the 4,881 pedestrians killed in 2012, 974 died in hit-and-run accidents. The total number of pedestrians killed nationwide has increased by about 2 percent since 2000, but hit-and-run deaths increased at almost 10 times that rate.
Leaving the scene of a collision is illegal under New York law. New York Statute 600 states: “Any person operating a motor vehicle who, knowing or having cause to know that personal injury has been caused to another person, due to an incident involving the motor vehicle operated by such person shall, before leaving the place where the said personal injury occurred, stop,” and exchange license, insurance and contact information.
What to Do after a Hit-and-Run Accident
If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, it would be in your best interest to:
• Take notes. Write down everything you remember about the vehicle, the license plate and a description of the driver if possible. You should also write down when and where the crash took place and the name and number of anyone who witnessed the accident.
• Call the police. Wait for the authorities and make sure your name is on the police report.
• Seek medical attention. Do not decline medical attention at the scene and see your doctor right away to get the care and attention you need.
• Read your insurance policy. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may be able to seek compensation for your losses from your own insurance provider.
• Seek the counsel of a reputed personal injury lawyer promptly Do not accept any type of a settlement before talking to your attorney.
Compensation for Hit-and-Run Victims
If you or a loved one has been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a hit-and-run accident, the experienced New York personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm can help you better understand your legal rights and options. We obtained $2,000,000 for a 6-year-old girl who was injured by a hit-and-run driver. The case was originally dismissed by the judge, but we aggressively appealed the judge’s decision and had it overturned. Our client received a $2,000,000 settlement when the case was retried.
Please contact us TOLL FREE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496). WE CAN EVEN COME TO YOU. There is no attorneys’ fee unless we recover money for you. We can also help with personal injury cases in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Florida. If you have been seriously injured in any of the 50 U.S. states, please call us and we will try to help you with your case.
Other TOLL FREE phone numbers for us are:
1-800-RADIO-LAW, 1-888-WYPADEK, OR 1-800-LAS-LEYES
Please visit us at: www.WORK4YOULAW.com
Source: CBS New York
If you found this article useful, please share it!