As winter storms continue to pile snow and ice on roadways, it is important to remember the dangers it poses for slip-and-fall injuries. If you have suffered injuries as the result of a fall on snow or ice, there are steps you can take in order to protect your legal rights.
Here are the top five steps we recommend to recover quickly and receive maximum compensation for your losses that were caused by a negligent (careless) party:
1. Call for help and get medical attention. If you fall on an icy walkway or a snow-covered area, it is important that you call 911 so first responders can arrive at the scene and evaluate the situation. This will also help document the incident. In New York, the police will prepare what is known as an “Aided Report,” that records incidents where an individual is injured, but where a motor vehicle is not involved.
It is also crucial to get medical attention as soon as possible, even if you believe at the time that you have not been seriously injured. This helps ensure that you receive prompt medical treatment for your injuries and that it is documented. However, we did get a client $1,700,000 although she had no medical or hospital treatment for one month.
2. Take photographs. It is also important that you know the exact location of where you slipped and the type of defect or hazard that caused it. A picture is worth a thousand words. Take photos of the surrounding areas that show icy surfaces or snow that has not been promptly cleared. If you are unable to take photos ask a family member or friend if they can do so for you.
3. Obtain eyewitness accounts. If anyone saw you slip and fall, make sure you obtain their name and contact information. This can help corroborate of what happened and enhance your credibility. A cooperative eyewitness can help provide powerful evidence to support your claim and increase your chances of receiving maximum compensation.
4. Do not rush into a settlement. Always speak to a lawyer before having any contact with an insurance company. Do not settle with an insurance company without talking to a lawyer. Insurance companies might offer you a speedy settlement to make the claim go away. However, if you accept the settlement, you may not be able to receive compensation for other expenses down the line such as the cost of ongoing medical treatment or rehabilitation.
5. Contact a New York slip and fall lawyer. Immediately contact an experienced New York slip and fall attorney who will work with you and protect your rights. Your attorney can also notify the property owner or other parties about the accident.
Contacting an Experienced Lawyer
If you were involved in a slip-and-fall or a trip-and-fall accident as a result of someone else’s negligence (carelessness), please remember that you have rights. Some of the damages that victims of such accidents can claim include, but are not limited to, medical expenses, loss of wages and benefits, cost of hospitalization, surgery, physical therapy, past and future pain and suffering, permanent injury, etc.
For 51 years, the experienced New York personal injury attorneys with the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm have established a proven track record of helping injured victims. Our skilled attorneys can help you better understand your legal rights and options and will fight hard to recover compensation for you.
Our law firm recovered $1,700,000 for a woman who slipped and fell and received no hospital or medical treatment for one month after the accident. Our law firm recently recovered $5,600,000 for a bicyclist who was hit by a van, and $2,550,000 for another victim of a truck accident, and $3,000,000 for a pedestrian who was hit by a car, and $2,000,000 in a hit-and-run accident, and the full $1,000,000 insurance policy for a pedestrian who was hit by a truck, and $4,625,000 for a driver who was in a car and was hit by a van, and $2,500,000 for a man who fell through an improperly secured hole. Also, one of our clients obtained a verdict for $43,940,000 and another of our clients got a verdict for $23,500,000, both in medical malpractice cases.
Please contact us TOLL FREE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496). WE CAN EVEN COME TO YOU. There is no attorneys’ fee unless we recover money for you. We can also help with personal injury, lead poisoning and medical malpractice including, brachial plexus palsy (Erb’s palsy) and cerebral palsy cases in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Florida. If you have been seriously injured in any of the 50 U.S. states, please call us and we will try to help you with your case.
Other TOLL FREE phone numbers for us are:
1-800-RADIO-LAW, 1-888-WYPADEK, OR 1-800-LAS-LEYES
Please visit us at: www.WORK4YOULAW.com